Inventory Notes 4/14/15

District 34 Inventory Notes – April 14, 2015

  1. What is the basic purpose of the District and how well are we fulfilling our Purpose?
  • Purpose of a District was read to group.
  • Many new attendees did not know what the purpose of the District is.
  • District is good at registering new GSR’s.
  • Service Manual Study is good for informing GSR’s.
  • GSR school is excellent way to inform GSR’s on District purpose.
  • Some GSR’s said they are not receiving emails and DT info.
  • Visitation committee did a good job at getting some inactive groups back involved.
  • It’s up to each GSR to take the initiative to get involved and learn.
  • Pre-Conference was excellent way to learn more about the Districts role in General Service.
  • Unity day helps promote interaction between districts.
  • All the necessary info is written in our literature.

Potential follow ups:

Need some creative fellowship activity outside of district meeting to help fulfill our purpose.

Need electronic version of District Purpose sent out to everyone.

  1.    Do the groups know what the District, Area and GSO are and what they do?
  • Many groups in Garner do not have much interest in General Service.
  • Most individuals aren’t interested in anything outside of their own group.
  • Starts with Sponsorship.
  • Groups with a strong ethic of Sponsorship seem to be more involved.
  • Still confusion between Intergroup functions and District functions.
  • Need to have a visual Upside Down Triangle chart for groups to display.
  • Need a one page document that explains difference between District and Intergroup.
  • We have above average participation at District meetings and Area Assembly.

Potential follow ups:

Create a one page document explaining Intergroup and District functions.

Provide an Upside Down Triangle chart for groups to display.

  1. Do new GSRs stick with us and participate or is turnover and missed meetings excessive?
  • Should call GSR’s before District meeting to remind them about meetings.
  • Shouldn’t have to call GSR’s. They are trusted servants.
  • GSR school participants seem to stay longer.
  • Should we have more GSR schools or on a different day/time?
  • We should get GSR’s involved ASAP.

Potential follow ups:

Assign GSR’s to a committee when they start their position.

District officers or committee call GSR’s before meetings?

Evaluate GSR school frequency, location, time etc.

  1. Do we emphasize the importance of service sponsorship?  How effectively?  How can we do it better?
  • Never heard of Service Sponsorship.
  • Service Sponsorship is not needed.
  • Some have found it beneficial to have service sponsor in addition to their other sponsor.
  • Some have benefited by having a Service Sponsor.

Potential follow ups:

Read paragraph about Service Sponsorship at District meeting.

Have someone talk about Service Sponsorship at District Meeting or Workshop.

  1.      Are the District Committees fulfilling their purpose? How can they be more effective?
  • We are not doing much with committees.
  • Need more participation from GSR’s.
  • Some confused as to what the Districts purpose is with committee’s vs the intergroup purpose.
  • Service committees are handled by the Intergroup.

Potential follow ups:

Re-energize standing committees like Visitation, Alcothon, Workshop etc. and assign a GSR to each.

Create one page document that explains Intergroup committees vs. District committees.

  1.  Is adequate opportunity given to all members to speak and participate in District activities and arrive at the actual voice and effective conscience for our whole District?
  • Everyone has the opportunity to speak.

Potential follow ups:

None noted.

  1. Do all A.A.’s know about district meetings and have the opportunity to attend? Are we attracting a good cross section of AA members into service?

Potential follow ups:

None noted.

  1. Has enough effort been made to explain, to all groups, the value and purpose of a G.S.R.?
  • GSR school is excellent at informing GSR’s.

Potential follow ups:

None noted.

  1. How do we treat the “Right of Appeal”, thus assuring that minority opinion will be heard?
  • Everyone feels comfortable speaking up.
  • No concerns.
  • Attending the Assembly and Pre-Conference helps to learn about this.

Potential follow ups:

None noted.

  1. Has enough effort been made to explain the need and value of Unity (12 Traditions) and Service (12 Concepts) ?
  • Majority felt that we did a good job with this.
  • We read the long form of a tradition at each meeting and have someone talk about a concept. This is helpful.
  • A few officers felt that we could be doing more with both Traditions and Concepts.
  • Service Manual study helps tremendously.
  • We should do an update on where we are at with the Service Manual study at the District meeting to generate interest.
  • Concern was noted that many groups/individuals identify more with the Steps than the Traditions/Concepts. How do we get them interested in something other than the Steps?

Potential follow ups:

Have workshop or speaker on Traditions/Concepts during District meetings.  Suggestion was made to do four per year. Maybe cover three per meeting. We could bring food or refreshment and try to make it an exciting event like the Gratitude Dinner.

Spend more time during District Meeting reading/studying Concepts.

  1. Are we “self-supporting through our District contributions” in covering expenses  for Service in the District?     B.Do we have sufficient operating funds and operate on a prudent   

financial principle?

  • No issues noted.

Potential follow ups:

None noted.

  1. What more can the District do to carry the message?
  • Large majority agreed that we should pursue a District Website.
  • Start Visitation Committee back up.
  • Have different content at District meeting to stimulate participation.
  • Have on big event each year and use the money that groups give us within the District and do not send to GSO or Intergroup.

Potential follow ups:

Create an ad-hoc committee to investigate a District website.

Experiment with different content at District meeting and/or event to get more participation.

Should we have representation at Intergroup?

Summary of potential follow ups:

  1. Need some creative fellowship activity outside of district meeting to help fulfill our purpose.
  2. Need electronic version of District Purpose sent out to everyone.
  3. Create a one page document explaining Intergroup and District functions.
  4. Provide an Upside Down Triangle chart for groups to display.
  5. Assign GSR’s to a committee when they start their position.
  6. District officers or committee call GSR’s before meetings?
  7. Evaluate GSR school frequency, location, time etc.
  8. Read paragraph about Service Sponsorship at District meeting.
  9. Have someone talk about Service Sponsorship at District Meeting or Workshop.
  10. Re-energize standing committees like Visitation, Alcothon, Workshop etc. and assign a GSR to each.
  11. Create one page document that explains Intergroup committees vs. District committees.
  12. Have workshop or speaker on Traditions/Concepts during District meetings. Suggestion was made to do four per year. Maybe cover three per meeting. We could bring food or refreshment and try to make it an exciting event like the Gratitude Dinner.
  13. Spend more time during District Meeting reading/studying Concepts.
  14. Create an ad-hoc committee to investigate a District website.
  15. Experiment with different content at District meeting and/or event to get more participation.
  16. Should we have representation at Intergroup?

District 34 Inventory Notes 4-14-2015